To collaborate with a range of stakeholders in the area of mental health in India in order to:
- Create wider awareness of concerns
- Support and enable quality services as well as ongoing research
- Encourage innovative, culturally sensitive, community-based interventions
- Work towards capacity building for individuals, organizations, communities, and institutions through training, network building, and knowledge sharing
- Stimulate law and policy reforms
MHI will go beyond programme funding and organizational partnerships to help create a community-based, nation-wide mental health ecosystem that is flexible, continually evolving, and accessible to the most marginalized.
MHI is the leading funding body in the field of mental health in India. Our goal is to improve the overall well-being in India. We conceptualize well-being as a combination of mental health and social factors and aspire to create a holistic mental health ecosystem in India that is accessible to everyone across social landscapes. We are a catalyzing and enabling force for organizations that strive towards this goal.
We align with a rights-based, psychosocial approach that considers mental health concerns as a disability. We expand on the narrow medical understandings of mental health conditions and look at it through a systemic lens. We understand caste, gender, religion, region, ability and sexually based oppression as major contributors to mental health distress. We encourage community-based interventions and actively promote deinstitutionalization of mental health services. We are a feminist, LGBTQ affirmative and user-survivor centered organization.
8th floor, Grande Palladium
175, CST Road, Kalina
Santa Cruz (E), Mumbai,