Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the global arm of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for 130 years. HAI’s offices in nearly a dozen countries implement programs on a range of global human rights issues, as well as the Chicago-based Marjorie Kovler Center for the Treatment of Survivors of Torture, which serves individuals from more than 50 countries. HAI has significant expertise in the fields of trauma-informed mental health and psychosocial support and access to justice for survivors of rights abuses. It is also an industry leader in access to high quality and stigma-free health care. Across all of its programs, HAI promotes progressive, innovative approaches to human rights protections and gender equality.
In Iraq, HAI MHPSS programming supports the needs of the most vulnerable groups, including women, children, religious and ethnic minorities, internally displaced people and refugees, and survivors of torture, human trafficking, gender-based violence, and other forms of trauma. HAI provides direct services and works with local non-governmental partners and helps build the capacity of health and mental health professionals, legal service providers and judicial officials, government organizations, and the media.
Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Specialist will be responsible for the quality of the specialized clinical mental health and psychosocial interventions across programming in Iraq. The Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) Specialist will guarantee not only the quality of the services, but also manage clinical supervision and capacity building tasks of program teams and external institutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the position include four (4) main areas of focus:
1. Training and Capacity Building:
• On-site training to project-level staff (psychologists and social workers) and Institutions on Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (Psychological First Aid, Gender-Based Violence, trauma informed care, group facilitation techniques, crisis intervention techniques, etc.).
• Field visits with project coordinators to ensure consistent clinical supervision and capacity-building objectives are met
• Contributes to the MHPSS capacity building of key partners and other stakeholders at the regional and national level.
2. Integration of technical tools:
• Consistent field supervision of the quality of clinical and psychosocial interventions of HAI MHPSS project teams;
• Together with the project coordinators, ensure the accurate implementation of technical tools and guidelines created by the Clinical Director.
• Together with the Clinical Director, ensure the harmonization of training and technical tools across different MHPSS programs.
3. Clinical supervision
•Provides clinical supervision to project coordinators, psychologists, and social workers.
4. Institutional Representation
• When possible, participation in relevant local cluster, coordination, or working group meetings
• Complete reporting as necessary and when required.
• Maintain the confidentiality of any information exchanged, provided, or created during and after the program.
• Serve as technical focal point for the project teams and coordinators across MHPSS programming
• Provide regular feedback to Clinical Director related to quality implementation of MHPSS programming.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or competency required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
• Master’s degree clinical or counseling psychology or related field with a minimum of 3 years of professional experience
• At least two years of experience implementing MHPSS programming in development and/or humanitarian settings, preferably in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA)
• Experience/knowledge of mental health considerations and best practices related to the treatment for individuals impacted by displacement, conflict, torture and human rights violations
• Knowledge of MHPSS global guidelines and best practices
• Demonstrated ability to train staff and implementing partners on MHPSS
• Demonstrated ability to provide clinical supervision to mental health professionals
• Experience in MHPSS with children and adolescents preferred
• Experience with Protection and Child Protection preferred
• Excellent oral and written English language skills required
• Intermediate or greater Arabic language skills (oral and written) required
• Demonstrated competency in public speaking preferred
• Time Management – Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision
• Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
• Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data
• Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
• Cultural Sensitivity – Respects cultural environment in which person is working and is sensitive to cultural norms; demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally;
• Gender Sensitivity – Behaves sensitively and equitably towards women and men, and is respectful of the diversity of sexual orientation and gender identity of participants, partners, and others.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
• The employee is required to travel regularly to often insecure and limited-resource environments.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the Organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September, 1987. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation should contact the Employee Services Office at +1 (312) 660-1431.
Interested candidates should apply: https://chu.tbe.taleo.net/chu01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=HEARTLAN...