Development of Qatar’s Mental Health Attitudes and Awareness Index (QMHAAI) as a measurement tool took place to track the effectiveness of the country’s mental health promotion and prevention initiatives. The QMHAAI provides a quick reference to assess improvements and deteriorations amongst key measures over time. The QMHAAI is comprised of four measures:
- Communications: increasing public dialogue on mental health and mental illness
- Awareness: increasing awareness about mental health and mental illness
- Attitudes: improving attitudes towards those affected by mental health and mental illness (stigma)
- Services: increasing awareness of mental health services and support available in Qatar
Goal: To measure improvements in attitudes and awareness of mental health amongst a representative sample of segments of the Qatar population including Qatari nationals, Arab expatriates and other expatriates every 2 years.
Content of the Intervention:
- A quantitative research methodology in Arabic and English to measure improvements in attitudes and awareness of mental health.
- Survey instruments for conducting online and Computer-Assisted Personal Inteviewing (CAPI) surveys.
Design, analyses and reporting features on the findings from the full data set filtered from a survey of 1068 responses to gain an all-inclusive picture of Qatari individual knowledge and attitudes towards mental health.