The project aims to improve MHPSS services for refugees, IDPs and host community members in the Middle East. As per its mandate:
- The project brings together a network of German, local and international experts working in the context of the Syrian and Iraqi crises.
- To facilitate exchange and share lessons learned, it organizes conferences on a local, regional and international level, and supports other networks (such as the online platform mhpss.net) through which the responses of MHPSS-practitioners and researchers can be coordinated.
- Besides these activities, the project improves support structures for staff working with highly distressed populations to mitigate the risk of burnout or secondary traumatization.
a) On this topic, the regional project is in close exchange with other organizations, e.g. the Inter-Agency Standing Committee.
- Additionally, the project helps to integrate MHPSS approaches in other sectors by offering training and consultation for development and international cooperation actors.
- Finally, our project offers trainings in regionally adapted standards for MHPSS activities, and the specific needs of most vulnerable populations, such as female survivors of sexual and gender-based violence, people at risk of suicide, and former IS-affiliated states (Islamic State-affiliated) children.