ASCENT has concentrated in the areas of Mental Health Awareness, Training, Advocacy and Research. Our resource pool is a mix of expertise, consisting of Psychologists, Teachers, Trainers, and Researchers from Various fields of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Our broad dreams include promoting and propagating a healthy and wholesome lifestyle, incorporating all that is positive and progressive about human life.
- To promote awareness regarding various mental health issues among general public
- To assist people in identifying signs of mMental health issues, and thereby help themselves and others manage the risk of mental illnesses
- To undertake projects to develop and implement training modules in the areas of Human Resources, Skill Development, Wellbeing, Motivation, and other fields of necessity to society as identified from time to time
- To plan, design and implement programmes to identify and strive to fill the treatment gap in Mental Health services
- To plan and execute training programmes for Disaster Risk Reduction activities
- To provide manpower support and other resources to institutions and collectives working in similar areas of interest
- To provide professional guidance to public and/or private sector institutions, individuals and collectives
- To convene conferences and campaigns to impart awareness and to implement remedial programmes on mental health and related topics among public
- To engage in advocacy programmes for the standardization and quality improvement in the practice of various fields of psychology, including Counselling, Training, Consultancy etc.
- To plan, design and implement programmes for the rehabilitation of people who have recovered from mental illnesses
- To undertake research projects, conduct workshops, seminars, symposia, etc. and to publish journals, newsletters, bulletins etc. to achieve the objectives
- To plan, design and implement sustainability-based and livelihood-based programmes for the weak and marginalised sections of the population including LGBT community
- To plan, design and implement community based Psychological First Aid programmes
- To establish centres for research and training in the area of Social Sciences and related areas and to seek recognition or affiliation from Universities, Governments and other bodies
- To organise, establish and run academic programmes in various Social Sciences and related subjects and also to award Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates and to seek recognition from Universities, Governments and other bodies for such courses
- To organise and maintain libraries and databases and to undertake documentation of important developments in Social Sciences and related areas
- To establish and maintain websites, databases and applications that act as an intermediary between providers and users of services including Counselling, Training, and Consultancy etc.
- To facilitate the establishment and management of Counselling Centres, Psychotherapy Centres, and such other institutions as necessary for the furtherance of the objectives
Events in the recent past include:
Remembering Albert Bandura - Online Panel Discussion
A panel discussion was conducted on 16.08.2021 6.30 PM IST to commemorate Professor Albert Bandura who passed away on July 26, 2021. Dr. Chinchu C. of team ASCENT spoke about the significance of Professor Bandura's contributions to Psychological science with a special focus on his book, 'Moral Disengagement: How People Do Harm and Live With Themselves.' Shiju Joseph, Clinical Psychologist and Assistant Professor, Government Women's College, Thiruvananthapuram spoke about the role of Psychological research in social change and progress. A discussion on the issues related to harnessing psychology research for social progress ensued. More than 50 psychology students and practitioners participated in the discussion. Recording of the sessions can be accessed on ASCENT Youtube channel at https://youtu.be/13N-rMgLC-c and https://youtu.be/RaMd6AwoNx4
- Data Analysis Training for Beginners An online training programme on Research Data Analysis for beginners was conducted on 1 and 2 June 2021. Dr. Chinchu C. and Jimson E. R. facilitated the training programme .
- Discussion on Sexuality, Social Morality and Counseling A discussion on Sexuality, Social Morality, and Counseling practice in Kerala was conducted online on 27.12.2020. Dr. A. K. Jayasree, Professor, Pariyaram Medical College was the main panelist. This was the first talk of a series of conversations on Sexuality and Psychological Practice in Kerala.
- UGC NET Paper 1 Crash Course: Conducted 6 Days crash course on UGC NET paper 1 from 30th April 2018 to 5th May 2018 at CSI Retreat Centre Calicut. Mr. Anees Poovathi, Mr. Chinchu C, and Mr. Vincent handled sessions. Total 36 participants was attended in this course
- 5 Days Research Methodology Workshop in Association with Centre for MBA, Kannur University, Nileshwaram Campus, 26 -30 December 2017 Fivee day workshop was conducted on Research Methodology at Centre for MBA, Kannur University, Nileshwar Campus. Mr. Sreejith Sudhakar, Dr. Sreejesh (CUSAT), Dr. T. G Saji (Government College Thrissur), Chinchu. C and Jimson ER handled the session. Around 40 participants were attended from various part of Kerala, Tamilnadu, and Karnataka
- Research Methodology Workshop, St. Joseph College Irinjalkuda: 5 -7 October 2017 Three day workshop was conducted on Research Methodology at St. Joseph College, Irinjalakuda. Chinchu. C and Jimson ER handled the session
- UGC NET Coaching - Psychology, Calicut Conducted 10 days UGC NET - Psychology coaching at Calicut in collaboration with Incubation
- Advocacy: Worked to include registration facility for Transgender and other GSM communities in the International Film Festival of Kerala by taking up the issue with the authorities
- Research Methodology Workshop Priyadharsini College Malappuram: Priyadarshini College Malappuram: 3 & 4th February 2017 Two day workshop was conducted on Research Methodology at Priyadarshini College Malappuram
- Research Methodology Workshop, Al Jamia, Perinthalmanna: 12 & 13th November, 2016- Two day workshop was conducted on Research Methodology at Al Jamia Arts and Science College,Perinthalmanna, for the UG students
- Research Methodology Workshop, Calicut: 15,16 & 17th October 2016- Three day residential workshop was conducted on Research Methodology at Govt. Youth hostel, Karaparamb, Calicut focusing UG and PG students. Jimson E.R., was the Organizing secretary. 35 Students from various institutes participated in the workshop
- Alchemy 2k16, Calicut : 01/10/2016 (Calicut)- In association with Team Incubation, a one day programme, ‘Alchemy2k16’ was conducted at Police Club, Calicut which focused on Career Orientation for psychology graduates