NGO “Belarusian Association of Social Workers” (hereinafter NGO BASW ) has a republican status and unites on a voluntary basis with professionals involved in the prevention of social disadvantage, comprehensive rehabilitation and social support for vulnerable populations. The organization was registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus on January 16, 1996.
- Further training, information, organizational, methodological and other support for the professional activities of NGO BASW members
- Study and implementation of the best practices in the field of social work and rehabilitation
- Providing, within the framework of BASW programs and projects, social assistance to citizens who, due to their mental and physical characteristics and other circumstances are not able to realize their rights and interests on their own
- Providing research in the social sphere
Since 1996, NGO BASW has implemented more than 40 projects and programs in the field of social support and rehabilitation of vulnerable populations. Among those groups are:
People with mental illness
- Clubhouses network (4 cities). Clubhouse is an international model of social and psychological rehabilitation for people with mental illness (2013 – present)
- Initiative against stigma in mental health; (since 2016 – present)
- Mental Health Initiatives Support Center (since March 2018 – present)
- “Garden of hope”. Goal: social and labor rehabilitation of people with psychiatric problems on the basis of ornamental plants nurseries. (2006-2007)
- Self-help groups in mental health (1997-1998, 2005-2007, 2017-2018) and etc.
- “University of the third age” (Since 2013 – till now). The goal is to promote the improvement of the quality of life, the activity of older people of Minsk (aged 60 years) and to prevent their social exclusion through involvement in the process of non-formal education and volunteering, creating conditions for creativity and expanding social contacts. Every year, more than 1,000 elderly Minsk residents undergo training in various areas within the university.
- The first in Belarus - Homeless Care Center (1997-2002). More than 2500 homeless people received support. The technology of social work with the homeless, developed by the NGO BASW, was successfully implemented, upon completion of the project, the city administration assumed responsibility for providing social assistance to the homeless, and as a result, in 2002, the first State institution “Night home for homeless persons”.
Victims of violence
- Combating trafficking in women in the Republic of Belarus, 2003–2005 - a project of the European Union and the United Nations Development Program. NGO BASW has created the Information Database “Belarus Against Trafficking”, describing the activities of more than 400 organizations that provide support to victims of trafficking in 48 countries in Europe and the CIS.
- Crisis Center for Women, 1996-2002.
st. Knorin, 3 (entrance from the end of the building under the blue roof)
Republic of Belarus