#FundaMentalSDG is an initiative which aims to include a specific mental health target in the post-2015 SDG agenda. We are committed to the principle that there can be no health without mental health, and no sustainable development without including mental health into the post-2015 SDG agenda. We therefore strongly advocate for the inclusion of a specific mental health target, and 2 associated specific indicators within the new Sustainable Development Goals.
The campaign is calling upon the United Nations to include the following target within the Post-2015 Health Goal:
‘The provision of mental and physical health and social care services for people with mental disorders, in parity with resources for services addressing physical health.’
We further suggest the inclusion of the following 2 indicators:
1. 'To ensure that service coverage for people with severe mental disorders in each country will have increased to at least 20% by 2020 (including a community orientated package of interventions for people with psychosis; bipolar affective disorder; or moderate-severe depression).'
2. ‘To increase the amount invested in mental health to at least 5% of the total health budget by 2020, and to at least 10% by 2030 in each low and middle income country.’
The #FundaMentalSDG Steering Group
The #FundaMentalSDG initiative is led by the #FundaMentalSDG Steering Group, composed of the following leaders in the field of global mental health, drawn from a wide range of service user, carer, advocacy, policy, service delivery and research organizations. Contact details for members of the steering group members can be found here: http://www.fundamentalsdg.org/who-we-are.html
To support the campaign
Below are 5 action steps that you can take:
1. Send a letter, on your organization’s letterhead if possible, to your government in support of this initiative (template attached) or download at www.fundamentalsdg.org/act-now
2. Visit the UN MyWorld2015.org website and add Mental Health to the priority list
3. Tweet: We must include mental health in the @UN #post2015 #SDGs. There is no #health without #mentalhealth #FundaMentalSDG
4. Show your support on our website: www.fundamentalsdg.org/show-your-support and send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know your organization is on board.
5. Let others know about the campaign by sharing the press release, policy brief and other resources attached
You can find more information on www.fundamentalsdg.org, www.facebook.com/FundaMentalSDGand twitter.com/FundaMentalSDG, or follow #FundaMentalSDG on twitter.