Gramina Abyudaya Seva Samsthe (GASS)
GASS is a community-based organization near Bangalore, India which impacts the lives of people with Mental health issues, disabilities, the marginalized women, children and senior citizens from backward communities collectively. GASS focuses on five domains namely health, education, livelihood, protection and environment
VISION: A world where marginalized groups are empowered to have equal opportunities, justice, peace and love, where the abundant resources are equitably shared, and they are able to enjoy their human rights, fully participate in the societal mainstream and lead a quality life.
MISSION: To enable the people living in rural and least served areas i.e. marginalized groups by playing a proactive and promotional role in advancing their rights.
Registered as a Society in 1996 it is led by Amali Naik. It is recognized a leading disability organization in the State. From its office at Doddaballapur near Bangalore, it works in seven districts of the State reaching out to about 150,000 people.
Summary of relevant work
In 2001, one of the pioneer community mental health programs supported by BasicNeeds addressed needs of over 1700 persons with mental illnesses in Doddaballapur Taluk in collaboration with BasicNeeds. In partnership with Anuradha Foundation, a US based funding agency, it worked with 1200 persons with mental health needs in Tumkur and Chikkaballapura districts.
GASS has also implemented disability and inclusive development projects in four districts of Karnataka - Bangalore Rural, Chikkaballapura, Tumkur and Gulbarga.
Other Projects of GASS:
• Santhuvana Kendra – women help line.
• Swadhara Project – Home for women in distress.
• Diabetes prevention project.
• Child line - to rescue and protect children.
• Aksharadasoha - Mid–day meals program to government school children. (ended)
• Samarth home for children with severe disabilities
• Integrated Rural Development Project – livelihoods & women empowerment, education and career development, environment protection.
- United Way
- Mahaveer Jain Hospital, Bangalore
- Ministry of women and child development
- Ministry of Health and Family welfare
- Government of Karnataka
- The National Trust
- Childline India foundation
- Essilor Manufacturing Pvt.Ltd
- Miblou- Switzerland
- Signode India Pvt.Ltd
- Carclo plastic Pvt Ltd