The course will cover many aspects of addiction, mainly to drugs, but also to the Internet, gambling and other behaviors. Questions that will be addressed include:
- What is addiction?
- How do we study it and what have we learned?
- What makes a drug or activity addicting and what are its problems and toxicities?
- What happens in the brain when someone becomes addicted?
- Who can be an addict, and what are the vulnerability and risk factors?
- How do we treat addicts?
- How does government policy affect addicts?