mhGAP Operations Manual
The WHO Mental Health Gap Action Programme (mhGAP) aims at scaling up mental health services in non-specialized health settings to achieve universal health coverage. The mhGAP operations manual is an integral component of the mhGAP package and supports district health managers and others responsible for integrating mental and physical health services. The manual offers practical guidance and necessary tools for planning, preparing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating mhGAP.
This mhGAP operations manual is designed to provide practical, step-by-step guidance to district health managers and others responsible for integrating mental and physical health services. It includes the tools necessary for preparing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating mhGAP. The aim of the manual is to assist district health managers to:
- undertake decentralized planning in accordance with national and regional programmes and policies;
- build skills in scaling up services to fill the unmet need of people with MNS conditions;
- strengthen existing resources and workforce capacity to achieve the greatest possible benefits of integrated MNS care;
- provide effective mental health services in non-specialized health settings; and
- engage in activities to enhance collaboration, evaluate outcomes and advocate for the inclusion of people with MNS conditions in all aspects of community life, and improving their overall quality of life.
This resource is also available for download in all steps of International Medical Corps Mental Health Integration Toolkit. The Toolkit aims to increase the understanding of integrated mental health programs in humanitarian settings and provides valuable guidance for better resource allocation and implementation of the steps and components of Mental Health Integration.